In our most recent article on Houzz, we go over how even though renovation is a great way to stay in the house you have there are often things that can cause your project to go awry. Everyone has heard the horror stories of going 50 percent or more over the renovation budget. Truth be told, even contractors will admit that it’s hard to provide an exact price on the work, because there are often unforeseen circumstances that could cause the price to rise. I always recommend factoring in about 20 percent over what you think you should budget. But knowing what you want from the very beginning – and sticking to those renovation goals – can greatly help your project stay on track. Even if it seems like it’s going off the rails…
Here are some of the highlights:
- Understand the reason you want to remodel
- Set a budget, then subtract 20 to 30 percent for contingencies.
- Prioritize what you want.
- Write down your priorities.
- Refer back to your priorities later in the project.
Check out the article on Houzz!